Thursday, April 22, 2010

It's been a long time, been a long time....

And here I am!

I successfully completed my 6 month lifestyle program in March. Since then, it's been a whirlwind of activity around me.

First, I met with my surgeon to discuss which surgery I am getting. I stuck with my original choice of RNY Gastric Bypass and that is what I will be getting. The Lap Band just isn't for me. I feel a lot more confident about my success with the RNY and also really hate the idea of a foreign object in my body for the rest of my life.

Second, I had a Psychological Eval with a wonderful woman named Linda. Linda is a counselor for Magee and she ALSO had RNY Gastric Bypass 5 years ago. Speaking with her was reassuring, inspiring and very helpful overall. I'm so happy that I had the time to talk to her. She, in all honesty, has been the best part of the program for me. She helped my confidence so much and understands why this is so important for me.

After that, I had a consultation with my nutritionist who went over what I will and will not be able to eat during my recovery. The first 6-8 weeks are by far the hardest. The first 2-3 weeks or so I will be on nothing but liquids. After a post op appointment, I will be given the go ahead to try soft pureed foods and concentrate on taking in protien either throughs shakes or other means -- greek yogurt, pureed meats, scrambled eggs, or fish. for example. That should be fun.  Especially while trying to keep hydrated. And having a stomach the size of an egg.  I think in all honest, that will be the hardest time, but will also be a huge

After about another 2-3 weeks I will move back into introducing solids into my diet. That's going to be an interesting challenge, too, as meats cannot be too dry, no high fat foods or sugars, and again... the size of an egg. :)

You would think that this would be daunting? Well, I'll admit, it is a HUGE change, but one that I'm eager to take on. I am so ready for it. I am a strong, confident, and determined girl who will face this challenge as a warrior .

After alllll of that, I also had a myriad of diagnostic tests -- chest x ray, EKG, Upper GI -- that I have completed and have been given a tentative surgery date of 5/27!!! It's so close, but so far!!  Everything has been submitted to insurance and we are just awaiting their final approval. So.. lots of positive thoughts, please!

I can only hope that my friends and family will stay strong and supportive around me. I've run into a lot of people who keep telling me that they don't think I need this surgery, they don't agree with it. I know that they love me and care about me and just want to make sure that I'm doing the right thing. Quite honestly, they really have no idea what I weigh - I do tend to carry it well and when people see my true weight do a double take.  It's not about how I look - it's how I feel  (pain in my knees, ankles, hips, back and shoulders that you wouldn't beleive) and what's going on inside (borderline diabetic, high bp, heart issues, sleep apnea, depression) of me that makes me do this. I need to be here for my husband, my kids, my mom, my family, my friends.  I'm doing everything I can to change years and years of damage -- physically and mentally -- that my poor or ill informed choices have done. Thankfully, my doctors, my health reports, my BMI, and with hope my insurance, agree with me.  I'm hoping once they see the results and see how I am happy, healthy, and not in constant pain and discomfort they will agree, too.  In the interim, they only motivate me more -- just to "prove" something, I suppose.

Will update once I get the final OK from insurance and, of course I'm sure anxiety will take it's toll at some point and I'll need to "vent" :)

Until Then...
~J

3 comments:

  1. Keep at it babe, we'll get through it together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it! It will be good for you!!! You're making a good choice, and it's YOUR choice (well, yours and Josh's).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you all the best Jen! I hope it's all you wish it to be and more. I look forward to hearing about your progress.

    ReplyDelete