I settled in and started working on my packet which contained a weight log and goal sheet that I am to bring back monthly, a food log. a food guide, a pedometer (which is quite nice, I must admit), a few other informational sheets with the meeting schedule and contact information on them, and the infamous Module 1. I no sooner get these out of the packet and stacked in the empty chair next to me when Melinda, the other nutritionist, calls my name for weigh-in.
I walk back and I'm nervous. I don't know why. I know how much I weigh, I weighed myself the night before. She deals with people my size and much larger on a daily basis. Nevertheless that sinking feeling of confirmation that I truly am a fat person never goes away. Melinda is quick and efficient. She cracks a couple jokes with me as we finish up the rest of my information and we head back to the waiting area where I can delve into Module 1.
Module 1 is all about planning a balanced diet. Making sure you get the proper portions of food, and also the right ratios of Vegetable, Fruits, Lean Meats, Starches and Fats. My activity is to plan an ideal daily meal plan that is between 1400-1800 calories and encompasses the rules. Being a veteran of Weight Watchers, this is hardly a challenge for me. I KNOW THE RULES -- I just don't follow them!! However, I was shocked to see how many people would bring up their meal plans and they were scrutinized and corrected. I kept thinking -- am I missing something here? I must have looked over mine 10 times before I got the courage to bring it up. I just knew Noelle would take one look at it and start picking it apart. Nope, she looked at it declared it was very good and that was it. I felt a little justified - I DO know the rules. Now I need to get myself to follow them.
Another part of our meetings is that we need to create three goals -- Nutritional, Physical, and Behavioral. These goals should be specific and realistic and will be reviewed for progress at my next meeting.
My goals are as follows:
Nutritional: I will bring a balanced healthy lunch from home at least 4 days a week.
Physical: I will work out (walking, exercise tape, dancing, swimming or using the gym) at least 3 times a week for at least 1/2 an hour each time.
Behavioral: I will plan at least one physical activity with the kids every weekend - hiking, walking, dancing, yoga, swimming, playing ball, playing - instead of being sedentary.
So, all in all not a lot of drastic changes -- I need to:
- Be mindful of what I am eating and take in between 1200 and 1500 calories a day.
- Keep a food log
- Wear my pedometer and track my steps working up to 10k a week
- Work to achieve my monthly goals.
Also -- with the winter upon us what kind of things do you like to do for physical activity? Some of the things I enjoy and have planned are tossing on some good music and dancing, Wii Fit, Exercise DVDs and OnDemand, actually using my Elliptical that's hanging out in my basement, Mall Walking, swimming at the indoor Oliver bath house, maybe taking an exercise class through CCAC, and using the exercise room here at work (so lucky to have that!!). Any other ideas for cheap/easy/indoor exercise?
Ok, first of all, you aren't fat! :P You are GORGEOUS no matter what! As far as exercise, may I suggest bellydancing? I have some dvds that you are welcome to borrow, or come on over and we can do it together while the kids play and the husbands can talk about gaming ;) As far as recipes, would you be willing to try some that are dairy/egg/nut free? LMK
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you have a great plan. I know how difficult it can be to stick to them though. I had/have a difficult time sticking in the 1200-1500 caloric range. I have found that a salad once a day (either lunch or dinner) is a great way to reduce calories. I have found that I really enjoy eating salads (I just loathe the thought of them).
ReplyDeleteAs far as exercise goes, I really like walking/running. It took a few months to learn to like it but now I have a pretty good flow. I love the Wii Fit!
Good luck to you, Jen. I know you can do it! I look forward to hearing about your progress.
Marya
Thanks girls -- you are both so sweet! Can Wii fit be done over the itnernet with someone? That's pretty cool -- I'll have to see if I can do that.
ReplyDelete@Amy - haha I'm soooo not comfortable with Belly dancing. Maybe post surgery when I feel a little more comfortable with myself. I'm always willing to look at new recipes! Send them along.
@Marya - Salads are an awesome way to bulk up on healthy foods without killing a calorie count. I have to be careful of not adding too many "extras" on there though -- craisns, almonds, croutons, cheese -- some are good of course, but I have a tendancy to go overboard ;)
Jen,
ReplyDeleteI am so proud of you. And I agree with Amy, you are so not fat. We are beautiful just as we are. I am planning on starting back to the gym tonight actually an am looking for a workout buddy. I would love to workout with you.
Sher
I wish I could afford the gym, Sherri! I ahd to cancel my super cheap gym membership b/c it was just too much. I'd love to see you though. We could meet up in Greentree and go walking. There's an awesome track at Greentree park?
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had a great first visit! I just wanted to offer up that I will go walking at South Hills Village with you anytime this winter. Or get a membership to Bally's and I would work out with you there too! Maybe your insurance would cover it as part of this process?
ReplyDeleteI am very proud of you! You CAN do this!
I'm so exited for you! As far as exercise, if you want to use a treadmill, we have one in our kitchen. But a more interesting angle would be....
ReplyDeletewait for it...
POLE DANCING!! Let's do it!
If you change your mind about the bellydancing, we can just do some basic movements - I'm not too comfortable with the shimmying myself LOL. I will get the recipes to you asap :)
ReplyDeleteJenn you are doing awesome! Any time you want some company to Oliver, T and I will go with you guys. I need to get that boy in the water more often.
ReplyDeleteI have so many favorite healthy snacks! I try to keep snacks within 200 calories and with as few ingredients as possible. Here's a few:
ReplyDelete- Mini Whole Wheat Pita (100 calories) with Tribe Roasted Red Pepper hummus (40 calories/2 tbsp)
- Sliced Gala Apple (80 calories) and Reduced Fat Creamy PB (95 calories/1 tbsp)
- Greek yogurt (110 calories/single container), berries, and 2 tbsp honey
-Kashi Spiced Apple Cereal Bar (NO HFCS!!! Not overly sweet, which I like and 5g of fiber) (110 calories)
-Kashi Toasted Asiago Crackers (130 calories/15 crackers) 1 wedge of Laughing Cow Garden Veggie Cheese (35 calories/wedge) And a few pieces of turkey pepperoni (45 calories/15 slices)
Also, two big helpers in the kitchen:
ReplyDeleteUSE your measuring cups and spoons. Measure EVERYTHING. Also get a food scale.