First -- just a thanks to everyone who has emailed/commented/been in touch. I am so touched that you're all taking this journey with me. I really appreciate the love and concern you are all showing. Keep it up -- I intend to come back here and read these comments and use them as motivation and encouragement, not only for myself, but others who may stumble across this little corner of cyberspace. If it can help them, too, then keep it up!! :)
Second -- I know I'm still playing catchup from the weekend. I got to spend some time with my dear friends Beth and Fred this weekend and also with my AWESOME mom. AND my cousin Sue (who's always been more like an Aunt to me and runs her own bakery (House of Cakes -- check her out. She's AMAZING!!) made me CUPCAKES so I could enjoy one of my last favorite indulgences before Thursday. Red Velvet with Butter Cream and Yellow with Butter Cream. SOOOO GOOD.
I am really and truly blessed to have such amazing people in my life. Much love... much love. They always come first... even more than my blog updates! :)
So that brings me to #5....
5. Shop in the Non-Plus size store/section
I LOVE clothing. I'm addicted to it. I dress pretty dang snazzy for a woman of size sometimes, too. I've worked very hard over the years to create wardrobe of clothes that fit me well, fashionably timeless, and well made. I'm really quite good at it because NO ONE can believe what my actual weight is when I tell them. BECAUSE I KNOW HOW TO DRESS!!! :)
That being said. It's a LOT of effing work!!! And it's realllly expensive, because as most of us who have ever had to buy these clothes realize -- the majority are UGLY as sin. It's really gotten a LOT better, it has, but it comes at a high price. So you either get the hideous floral print shirt that hangs and clings in all the wrong places for $15 or you shell out $50 for a top at Lane Bryant (I'm almost sad that I'm breaking up with you LB... I really am, but I think you will be replaced with New York and Co.) that actually makes you look like something decent and NOT a parade float in the rose bowl. I am NOT kidding.
I want to be able to go into a store and pick out something and have it FIT. I want it to look right. I realize that this is not a great expectation, but to be able to go into a normal store and pick out something would be dynamite.
It's been YEARS since I've been able to buy something without a stupid W next to the size. I stand in the Sears WOMEN'S section (all three racks of proportioned jeans of it) and look longingly at the super cute dress hanging across the way. For $30 cheaper than the craptastic thing I'm about to check out with. And don't even get me started on when I was looking for maternity clothes. I must be doing ok though, everyone keeps saying "After your operation, I want your clothes" which is really one of the most flattering things anyone could say to me.
Yes... it really has gotten better in the last few years. And I have amassed a small fortunes worth of very nice clothing, but I SO can't wait to sell it and stock up on gift cards (so I can get my FUEL PERKS... Mama didn't raise no fool!) and redo my wardrobe.
And if not.. there's always Gabe's! :)
Test
13 years ago
Sue's cakes are always awesome.
ReplyDeleteI am looking forward to the new things you get. You'll have so many more options and you always pick great stuff.