The last few weeks I've been working at a popular home improvement store. Think orange aprons. I work in the gardening department. Man alive it's been a wake up call as to how out of shape I am, but also as to how resilient and strong my body is. I look forward to seeing how much my body changes and how much of my strength I retain after this.
Being there has also been inspiring for my diet. After watching countless training videos, I decided it was time for us to do something we had been wanting to do for a long time. The kids and I picked out some seeds and a mini greenhouse and planted them together. In a few days we had sprouts! Then, we built a raised bed in our back yard and supplemented the seedlings with a couple of plants we picked up at my work place as well. So now, we have green peppers, jalapenos, strawberries, cucumbers, zucchini, carrots, pumpkins and tomatoes growing out there! I'm really excited for our crops to come in and look froward to eating something that WE grew together as a family. Really very satisfying!!
We're also looking at some other ways to change our eating. We watched Food, Inc.
Aside from that -- it's been a good time. I'm excited about the surgery, but some anxiety has naturally crept in. I think I would be more concerned if it DIDN'T creep in because then I would feel like I'm looking at this through rose tinted glasses and not realistically. I think a healthy dose of reality is good for anyone in this situation. It's NOT going to be easy. It will NOT be a walk in the park. But I will embrace this with positivity and enthusiasm. The more of that I can harness the better off I will be.
I think Sheila and I look forward to a house one day not necessarily for the house itself but for the massive chest freezer we can put in it. :D Going with part of the pig and cow also means you'll get all those great bits and parts for stocks and such. Definitely the way to go.
ReplyDeleteAlso, if the garden doesn't work out too well this year, or if you want more veggies, scout out some of the local farmer scene. Some places do something called a farm share, where you pay up front in the late winter/early spring and then get a bunch of veggies every week. The one in our area even delivers them to your door. We missed the boat on it this year but are definitely doing it next year since we lack significant gardening space.
If you really dug the stuff from Food, Inc about sustainability and what not, you also would probably enjoy "100 mile diet". It's a book and there's also a short television show (not sure if it made it down to Food TV in the states or not since it was a canadian show). Lots of good info and ideas for sustainability and local foods. There's a website, too --> http://100milediet.org/ A couple of fat chicks you know also talked about it a bit. ;)
I can't wait to see the stuff that comes out of our garden!
ReplyDeleteWe'll get through the surgery. I'm very excited for you.
Thanks Tracy -- there's a lot of crop shares around here that I might have to take part in. Wanted to try it ourselves first thinking that MAYBE if the kids grew it themselves the might be more prone to actually eat it ;) haha! :) It's just really satisfying to do, though.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely going to check out the 100milediet.org!!!!
Josh -- we're an awesome team on every level. I have no doubt that we're totally going to kick ass on this. I love you and couldn't do it without you!!!
I swear I replied to this last night? Hmmm. You are doing awesome! I'm so proud of you. I'm bringing home some veggies to plant I started at work and also planting the topsy turvy tomato thing this weekend. Oh and strawberries. Between the two of us, hopefully we get something. My dill is doing amazing though... Also, are you going to join me in the HFCS crusade now??
ReplyDeleteI'll certainly be looking at it more. I don't think it's practical to completely ban it, but if there's a viable alternative of course I'll pick that instead.
ReplyDeleteWe will be plantin' mommas soon. I should get a Topsy Turvy and a shepards hook.